Thursday, August 22, 2013

Heroes of the Faith?

Albert Mohler had a fantastic message this morning in Chapel at Southern Seminary warning seminary students how easily and quickly they can become disqualified for the ministry by falling into sin. 

Dr. Mohler's message got me thinking though on an important issue. Heroes. Hebrews 11 is sometimes referred to as the "Hall of Faith" and men and women like Abel, Noah, Abraham & Sarah, Joseph, Moses, Rahab, David, and Solomon are mentioned for their great faith.  While their faith was tremendous if you go back and read their stories in the Old Testament you quickly realize that they struggled with faith and with believing the Word of God.  They made mistakes. But in a way that's the point. They were just men and women like me and you trying to have faith, deny self, and hope in things unseen. 

There is really only one Hero and I believe the Old Testament is intentionally pointing us to Jesus. Jesus is the true and better Abel, Noah, Moses, and _______ you can enter in all of the heroes of the Old Testament.  They are all 'types' of someone greater who was to come. Jesus. 

I, like a lot of people have made the mistake of taking men and propping them up like heroes only to see them dramatically fall.  It's devastating to see heroes have an affair, go through divorce, fall away from the faith, or just fail morally. I am not saying that we should not have heroes. But those heroes should point us to Jesus who is the one and only true Hero.  Learn from Him, His burden is light, and He will give you rest. 

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be will you all.
 2 Corinthians 13:!4

No comments:

Post a Comment