Friday, August 30, 2013

Commitment #4: Pray for your pastor

Parents for the most part always want their kids to live in better conditions or have an easier life then what the parents have gone through.  While I can sympathize with this desire that parents have it can easily become an idol for parents who begin spoiling their children or try to prevent anything from ever happening to their kids. One prayer that the Lord has given to me since our oldest was born "Lord save our children from their sin and do more for your kingdom through our children than you ever could do through us."

Deuteronomy 6 makes it clear that parents are to be the primary disciplers of their children. Not their Sunday School teachers, youth pastors, or pastors. The prophet Malachi when talking about the great Day of the Lord and how Elijah will come says this about what Elijah will do "And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.” Malachi 4:6.  Awakening will happen when fathers hearts are turned towards their children and become Deuteronomy 6 parents.

Commitment #4 from "I am a Church Member" is all about praying for your pastor.  Praying for his sermon, for his mental and physical health are all valid and needed prayer request.  But the most important to me is prayer for my family.  So pray that I would model Christ to my wife and children.  That I would be a husband first and parent second.  That I would not fall to the temptation to spend too much time doing 'ministry' and neglect my children.  That I would raise my children to fear the Lord and that the Lord would save them from their sin. Pray that I would wisdom on how to minister to both my family and my church family effectively. 

First Baptist Church, Oak Ridge
The Fourth Pledge
I am a church member.

"I will pray for my pastor every day.  I understand that the pastor's work is never ending.  His days are filled with numerous demands that bring emotional highs and lows. He must deal with critics.  He must be a good husband and father. Because my pastor cannot do all things in his own power, I will pray for his strength and wisdom daily. 

_________________________
Sign and Date

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." 
2 Corinthians 13:14

No comments:

Post a Comment